Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Red-Bellied Woodpecker......


Look what showed up at our feeder on Monday.  I have not seen one of these for years.  I knew they were probably out there but they don't show up in town.

I definitely can see that the the downey woodpecker is much smaller than this guy.   I had heard a woodpecker working out in my silver maple tree on Sunday.  The pecking was loud and I thought then that it surely wasn't a downey woodpecker.  It was too loud for that small of bird, but I just let it go.  I was glad to see him grab a chunk of suet from the cake and fly off into a tree. 

5 comments:

Valerie said...

What a wonderful Christmas surprise and such a lovely bird, too. Our woodpeckers are quite dowdy by comparison.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Wishing you both a Merry Christmas.

Karen said...

A familiar sight and sound from childhood. Remember the cartoon character Woody the Woodpecker?

lark said...

Wow, what a cute little guy. His red head makes a festive photo, for the season!...
Merry Christmas to you and your family, Larry...

Lisa

Far Side of Fifty said...

He is a beauty mine are so camera shy...you got a great shot! :)

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...