Saturday, January 18, 2014

Seeing Red........



I snapped this a day ago as I wanted a photo with the red cap showing.  As I now realize that the red cap is not as large on one bird as it is on the other.  I know this bird and the one below are not the same as the white patch on it's back is not as distinct as the one below. 


Birdwatchers of the world, is this the same species? This one has larger white area and it's cap is smaller.  I suppose one is a male and the other is a female. The angle of the head on this one makes it harder to see the size of the cap. In fact you can't see it in this picture, but it is a small narrow cap.

Taking a break from my rigorous blogging, I found the answer to my question.  The male has a smaller red cap than the females larger one.  So the top  photo is a female downy woodpecker and the one just above is a male.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos of the male and female. Hope you have a nice Saturday.

Valerie said...

Yes, Larry, one is female. As always the male is prettier and more colourful... sad, but true... grins.

Old Iris Variety…..

 I collected on rhizome from an old cemetery and many years later I have three plantings of it. It is very hardy. For some reason a painting...