Thursday, February 13, 2014

Mourning Doves............


I do not know if the doves migrate but they are at the feeder for the first time this winter.  We have the Eurasian Collared Dove that has spread throughout the United States.  I have seen one of those last week.  They are smaller and have two markings on the back going around their neck making it look like a ring decoration. During the summer we see more Eurasians in the summer than morning doves.  Unfortunately we have hunting season of doves in the summer.

Research shows me that the Doves do stay put unless they hang out in the northern states in the summer.   The northern Doves migrate south to the middle plains or maybe into the far southern states. My parents use to call them rain crows when I was young. It must have been a southern Iowa thing. As I became an adult people would smirk and wonder how dumb that I was calling them a rain crow.  I did see on the net that the mourning dove was sometimes called a rain dove.  The story from my parents, which must have been handed down, was that they call to declare a rain is coming.  I do know that the call is for other reasons including territory marking.

I had just put out some fresh seed and I had a few takers right away after that.  I salso enjoy the juncos and a two male cardinals were that were casing the area but hanging in the spirea bushes for some reason.  I don't know if buds have started on them already but I can't imagine that they would be out during this cold time. I will share that photo another day.

4 comments:

Linda said...

They are beautiful, Larry! The closest I get to see to doves here in Montreal are pigeons.

Anonymous said...

Great picture and I also keep admiring the squirrel in the header photo.

claude said...

I had the pleasure to see some of them in my american friends' backyard. Mourning doves are most beautiful than the doves I can see coming and eating from my kitchen window.

Valerie said...

I like doves, all varieties. We used to have many collared doves but they seemed to have disappeared. This year we saw two, but they've gone now. I don't think it has anything to do with our weather.

Peony and Tulips....

  The flowers are getting a gentle rain this morning.  It  makes the soil and sub soil happier as our drought is less these days.