Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Invasion of the Locust..........I Mean Cicadas.


They are everywhere.  I can watch them come out of the ground and crawl up the trees.  They are also crawling out of the garden soil and moving onto the plants.  This 17 year Locust convention shows just a few of what is going on out there.  I remember seeing the first time in my lifetime back in 1963. The wave of a buzzing sound continue most of the day with so many of them making their sounds.


A second photo as a bonus today showing the one locust on a daylily.  The shells of two locust who shed their skins hang on the leaves and the two have left to go sing in the trees.

Check out my next blog to read about my uneducated confusion about the names of these insects. They will be call cicadas the rest of my life.  Explanation will be given for my confusion.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I've never seen a locust or a picture of one before. They're quite colourful, not how I imagined.

claude said...

Oh my goodness ! I should not like to have these beasts in my backyard.

Anonymous said...

I had not seen the locust before either.

Peony and Tulips....

  The flowers are getting a gentle rain this morning.  It  makes the soil and sub soil happier as our drought is less these days.