Monday, January 12, 2015

Missing Decoration..........Tree.



Removing a Christmas tree from an area does change the mood of the room.  I looked up and there now sets a simple lamp.  We usually have some things sitting under the lamp but not yet.  Those who haven't followed me for very long are wondering what is the deal with a cupboard with three holes in it. There are three others on the opposite side. It is an old Sears and Roebuck oat sprouter. 

I use it to store old toys and it fits in that area of our living room best.  As a sprouting cupboard, the warmth and moisture created inside the bottom of it had to be vented out of the cupboard. That explains the holes. The oats that became green spouts were fed to chickens in the winter time.  I probably destroyed its value as an antique but I put the sponge painted finish on it many years ago. The finish was a utilitarian dark brown stain on a common wood.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting piece and I like the finish. Hope you both had a nice day. We had heavy rain/fog today.

Betsy Brock said...

Love the sprouting cupboard...very cool! Now if one shows up at the auctions, I'll know what it is!

It is a little when the decorations come down. I miss the glow of the lights the most!

Valerie said...

You have some unusual things, Larry. A tour of your home would be interesting.

Jeevan said...

Still looking good as lamp stand! Excellent shot

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...