Tuesday, April 14, 2015

History of the Land........


It isn't that exciting of that which I share but it is history.  The person who owned my property before I bought it was described as a burning maniac.  He burned tires on the property, had leaning out buildings that were falling down and he burned his trash outside in the yard.  The major area where he burned his trash was next to the row of peonies.  Since 1976 I have been retrieving things that have worked up in the soil.  In the first years I lived here I would spend a lot of time filling buckets full of broken glass, nails, and pieces of metal.  While taking the shot of a wild violet last week I noticed this piece of glass that is working up out of the soil.  It might be an old ketchup bottle but I am thinking maybe some thing older.  I haven't cleaned it up yet to see it more clearly.

When I planted the chokecherry tree next to this area 10 years ago I then too pulled up a lot of things from the ground.  Broken pieces of china and glassware do show up also.  I finally started throwing the things away even though I may have a stray box of some of it in the basement.  Unlike the colonial states where they dig up artifacts that are 200 years old, my stuff can't date any further back than 1880's. At one time I did dig up bisque clay marbles found in a flower garden outside the back door. There are many areas near here where Indian arrow heads and tools are found as they lived along the Des Moines river.  Woodward is too far from the river to have Indians living out my door. The river is about 5 miles from Woodward.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's very interesting. As you know, Karen and Larry are a LOT older than me (ha ha) and when I would dig in the dirt to play as a kid, I would find army men, toy cars, marbles etc. that they had left behind.

L. D. said...

I guess you could label them as the ancients and you were picking up their historic past, right?

Valerie said...

Keep going, Larry, you might find some treasure. Seriously, folk where I live have found valuable coins in their garden. I'm tempted to start digging.

A Colorful World said...

The broken glass would be so dangerous! I'm surprised he didn't use a burn barrel or something to contain the stuff, and why he was burning glass containers....well, that's just weird! Who knows you might one day find something valuable though! :-)

Bouquet