Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Rare Event.......


The bishop's weed is blooming this year.  I don't think I remember ever seeing it bloom.  It has had lots of rain and this is growing on the north side of the house.  The plant was called "snow on the mountain" when I was a kid and I see after research that it is also called "goutweed."   While reading up on the plant on the net I saw one gardener calling it an insidious weed.  I find it nice to have in areas where nothing else will grow.  The flowers were a surprise to me and they really are very pretty flowers.

My one memory of the plant is of a neighbor who I had asked to get a start of it from her patch.  She was a friend of a woman who had a nursery outside of town and told me to go buy it out there.  I did get a start of it from the hillside behind a motel in Grand Marais, Minnesota. I will be glad to give it away to anyone who wants to take on the challenge of keeping it under control.  I do think if it were mowed down continuously for a couple of summers it would be gone. I know our drought years almost killed it.  I guess that is why it is celebrating all the rain by giving me blooms.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very pretty blooming.

Jeevan said...

Very beautiful and unique blossom! Glad the flowers showed it up and I also like how it is called in different names.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Very pretty!

The Furry Gnome said...

I've never seen it bloom either - though we don't have any, 'cause the Head Gardener thinks it would be far too invasive. And we don't have any vacant patches where nothing will grow; in fact there's too much growth if anything.

claude said...

Wonderful ! Very pretty !

Valerie said...

The flowers are pretty. When I see something like this I always remind myself that weeds are simply flowers no-one wants. Otherwise they are wild flowers, and I have plenty of those in the garden.

Reflection