Monday, June 29, 2015

Reaching to the Sky.........


The Principal building stands in downtown Des Moines.  It is 630 feet tall and one of the tallest downtown.  Principal Finacial fills a lot of the building but the bottom few floors are rented out to other companies.  It was built in 1991 and has a copper roof.  It was suppose to turn green like the Statue of Liberty with age but we seem to not have any salty air in our area.  It has turned dark brown and the company is going to live with it. My oldest son's prom was held at the top floor where there is a band of windows all around it.  I went up to take photos and then left.  Every year there is a contest for people to run the stairs from the bottom to the top.  My wife and I took the elevater when we visited the top.





It being so tall and the only skyscraper in Des Moines it is easy to look up to know where you are while you are in the city. While driving into the area around the city you can see it sticking up pointing to the sky.















The second tallest building is the Ruan building as seen to the right of it.  That building was designed to have a rusty finish and it is just that.  The have put lights on the outside edges of the box so that you can see it at night.  It is not a good looking building.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's fun to see these buildings in a part of the country I have never visited. I cannot imagine anyone using the stairs and not the elevator!!!

Larry's daughter works in a very distinctive building in Atlanta and one we all use to give directions. One building is designed as a King, the other as a Queen (on top) and I always forget which one she works in!!! lol

Karen said...

I know you enjoyed the view. I have always had a problem with heights...make me dizzy!

Betsy Brock said...

Beautiful....I always enjoy looking at a skyline!

claude said...

Very tall !

Valerie said...

Interesting post, Larry. I am okay with heights but would still use the elevator.

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...