Friday, December 11, 2015

Trains........


Many a kid and many adults are fascinated with the whole train industry.  I have always been fascinated with them  remembering seeing the old steamers going through our local town and puffing smoke across the country side. The shipping car like the plastic model was standard on most trains as everything could be shipped inside.

Our neighbors had a car like this one on his farm when I was a young boy in the 50s. He stored grain and tools in it.  I can't imagine how he got it on his property as we were seven miles of hills and dells to the nearest train track.  When I would stand inside of that one car as a boy it seemed to be huge and heavy. That one had not seen any paint probably from the time after it was first built and used.  I suppose it could have come from a train wreck that happened in the area.

This car is from a train set that was given to me and my brother from Santa back in 1956.  I still remember it being wrapped in brown grocery sack paper and then tied with string.  Santa even wrote on the front of it to tells us we shared this gift.  It is fun to dig out the train and place them under the tree each year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a special train in that you remember sharing it with your brother for Christmas. I remember one year Karen and I rec'd matching bath robes! Just this week, I was looking thru my old jewelry box and found a watch my parents gave me for Christmas when I graduated from high school. Special memories of how they saved and went without to give us something special.

The Furry Gnome said...

Trains really are fascinating!

claude said...

I remember very well the old trains I took for travelling from Paris to the countryside when I was little girl. I remember very well the old trains carrying evething. Now a lot al big trucks on the roads and the new trains go very fast.
Have a nice week-end, Larry !

Jeevan said...

You shared good old memories of the car and that’s a pretty gift from Santa to remind you those days. I too hold a train set from my childhood and it used to ride on battery.

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...