Friday, January 29, 2016

Dove.......


I have decided to call all eurasian ring necked doves the common name of dove.  Itf at anytime that I get a shot of the larger mourning dove, I will call it that. The eurasian variety seems to have out multiplied the others.  I almost did not use this photo as the head blends into its body too well to have it readily seen.   I had removed the above photo and then I thought put it up.  The view shows how they are designed to blend in to protect themselves from predators.  There seems to be a lot of seed shells on the snow but it has  been picked pretty clean by the sparrows and juncos. The dove must be picking up stray sunflower seeds.  One day this week about 4 doves and a cardinal were fighting it out for space on the feeder.  I guess a blue jay was also there with starlings getting seed. I was too ill to take photos so I can just say you should have seen it.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the dove. We see a lot of Cardinals and doves in our back yard. We have sun today, thankfully.
Hope you two will have a nice weekend.

Jeevan said...

Here we see doves only in faraway places like forest and mountains! And dotted doves are the most seen. Nice click

Linda said...

I hope you are feeling better, dear Larry. Your dove photo is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Betsy Brock said...

We haven't had too many doves so far this winter.....some years we have quite a few!

claude said...

I can see the same ones in my backyard.
Have a nice week-end, Larry !

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I think the doves are pretty. We have a mess of cardinals here, and sparrows, as always. Our martins will be here before I know it. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...