Friday, March 11, 2016

In the Shed.....


I like cupboards.  I took this one from my dad's garage.  I am thinking he took it from an old house that he had torn down many years ago. This one isn't so valuable on the market but I am sure I would be surprised to know.

When I was young, living in southern Iowa, old things were cheap.  I have a chest of drawers and other oak furniture that  my mom picked up for 6 bucks a piece.  I bought lots of things for one or two bucks during my early years living in far southern Iowa.  When I moved to Woodward and went across the street to bid on a neighbors old bathroom cabinet, thinking I would be carrying it back home in no time, I was wrong.  Antique prices started to increase at the time in value and the piece sold for $45.  I haven't been to an auction for years.

I appreciate the old cupboard in my shed and will always wonder about its history.  I need to get into that shed and clean house. The red shelving thing was from a shop at school that was being thrown away and the wooden tray at the top is from Madagascar.  It is a tourist piece that has been made from unusual wood with a carved scene on it.  Maybe I should photograph the carving some of these days.

2 comments:

ScrappySandie said...

Interesting picture, Larry. I, too, took an old cupboard from my dad's shop! I owe it belonged to someone else before him and have wondered about its history. Like you, I love to repurpose things, but keep the original character. Oh for the good old days when we could pick up a gem for just a few bucks!
Sandie L

Anonymous said...

My grandpa had a cabinet similar to this that I wish I had. I think I see a cigar box on the top shelf ?? Each time John and I go to a thrift or antique store he looks for "cheap" cigar boxes....like you say, some folks are asking too much for these type items!

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...