Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Swallowtail.........


When I first saw this butterfly it reminded me of a small bird.  It was very active flapping its wings wildly.  It just didn't seem anything like I had seen before but I have.  This kind of swallowtail is the only variety that I saw when I was a farm kid in southern Iowa.  Getting a photo seemed impossible as it was so hyperactive flitting from one flower to the other and not really staying to eat at any one coneflower. I started snapping wildly and hoped something would be focused when I finished shooting. I was surprised to see that I had this shot.  It moves so fast that you don't see the light colored body and lighter outside wings.


To exemplify how hard it was to get a shot of this insect, in this photo you can barely make out the right wing. It is a blurred line and only parts of the left wing are in focus.





The other light colored swallowtail was out there and I did get some more photos of it.  This guy I had seen earlier Monday but never thought I would see him again.  I suppose I could stand out there all day and I would catch more things but it seems to work if I check on the area once in awhile when I am working out there.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Photo No.1. is excellent. Yes, I know the subject is pretty but your capture of it is pretty good too.

Anonymous said...

I do love butterflies and coneflowers! That first shot is amazing.

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...