Monday, May 22, 2017

Hanging Out......


Two lanterns moved and hung in the garage temporarily, next to a rug. The visual helps compare the different kinds used in different ways in time.  I remember seeing the older lamp in the back was used as a prop in WW 2 movies.  That lamp would be sturdy compared to the lighter metal one shown in the foreground. Lanterns like the spray painted one were commonly used in barns in the country before there was electricity. Once electricity was installed in the farm homes and barns, the lanterns were left hanging on nails in the barns most of the rusted out with little paint left on them.

4 comments:

claude said...

I have twoo.
A red one in good condition and a very old one that I repainted in black and I put in the glass a few artificial sunflowers. I hung it under the porch.

Dianna said...

Very interesting information on the lanterns. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Nora Mills near Helen GA has a collection of antique lanterns hanging from the ceiling. I am always interested in learning more about the lanterns.

Jeevan said...

The lanterns of this kinds are back, but with led bulbs! Though nothing could represent old and i like to see these in real.

Blurry Blue Cup Day.....

 It is Monday and I am a little blurry eyed today. It is fitting then my blue cup is blurred a little because it is in low light. I was too ...