Friday, December 1, 2017

Trumpeter Swans......


On a highway lake, made years ago when they turned 141 into a four lane highway, I saw birds.  I pulled over while driving home, to mess with the cell  phone and then I saw them. I couldn't believe that they were even on the water. I have never seen this kind of swan in Iowa ever in my lifetime. I had heard the Maquoketa, Iowa has swans on its lake and that they were there now. I am certain this pair with the three youngsters will not stick around.


The little pond has beavers on it also as the area is close to beaver creek just south of there.  I could see the other day that they were adding a lot more tree limbs to their home.

The pond is fished year round with ice fishermen put up tents to help keep them warm while fishing. Some locals must have stocked it with a good kind of fish.

5 comments:

Karen said...

I would see people out on the ice in northern Indiana. The swans are beautiful. Have a great weekend.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, it must have been so exciting! I have never seen one, either. Most of our swans are trumpeters. We have a Beaver Creek, too!

Christine said...

These are a rare sight but very beautiful!

claude said...

I love swans. I can see some of them on the river or on a lake. I have a few photos.

CountryMum said...

How beautiful. I have only seen a swan a couple of times on our farm and what a blessing it was.

Tall and Short....

 At four in the morning and one is walking the empty hallways, one never knows what the camera might shoot.