Monday, March 19, 2018

Mourning Doves.....


I found these two birds resting on my deck floor yesterday morning.  I had seen some Eurasian ringneck doves earlier this non spring season  but not any mourning doves.  The ringneck is a larger bird that has migrated into our country 30 years ago through Florida.  It didn’t take long for them to be all over the United States. These kind of doves are the ones I would see on the farm when I was a kid. Their call is distinctly and my parents would tell me the sound was from a rain crow.  They were telling untruths to me that got me into trouble as an adult. I can still see them flying up onto the woven wire fence of the farm’s vegetable garden while working in the garden.  They were and still are so stately looking.

3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

They are a real sight when they take off, for sure! Did you know they are the only bird type that feeds their babies their milk? They seemingly cannot walk without bobbing their heads, they are both amazing and comical. I have never seen the ring necked.

Karen said...

They used to build nests in the tree outside my bay window by the breakfast nook. I love to watch then and hear their sound.

Dianna said...

We actually have a few mourning doves that come to our bird feeders. Thank you for sharing about your parents calling them rain crows because that is the same thing that my mother-in-law called them. They have such a woeful sound when they call.

Crowded.....

 The tulip was up first but the peony is now spreading out and shoving the tulip around a bit.