Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Tractor Power.....


 

As a kid on the farm in southern Iowa we would travel to a larger city to buy groceries.  The city also had a dimestore, hardwares and clothing stores.  As we traveled through the country toads to get there we drove by an abandoned old tractor that looked like this.  It was all rusted and weeds grew up around it. The iron back wheels were big and the cleats on it were just like this.  I guess they were concerned that they had good traction even though the weight of the tractor should have given it plenty of traction.  The toy tractor makes a clunking sound as the back wheel cleats hit the table surfaces.  As a young kid I painted this the two colors and collectors would tell me today that I ruined it's value.

Of the four boys who played with this tractor in southern Iowa, one of them grew up and fought in the Normandy invasion, 1944,  where he died. I inherited a lot of toys from that family of four boys.  

2 comments:

roentare said...

These toys would mean a lot from that era with them

Jeevan said...

I'm a big fan of tractors, and your story is fascinating. I try to visualize how the iron wheels would sound on the road, as I am aware of the sound of a road roller with flat iron wheels. Your piece of the tractor is a treasure.

Reflection