Sunday, August 23, 2009

Get your apples in a row....

I have a lot of apples that are mostly not any good. My wife and I are going to dig out her mom's old cookbook and see if we can juice them for jelly. I figure we can clean them then grind them in an old meat grinder and strain out the juice of apple jelly. Below the apples in a row are the volunteer coneflowers and the gourd that I planted. There is no way that it is going to mature fast enough to get gourds off of it but it makes a nice vine. I still have the seed and I will try again next year.
Gourds on display at the State Fair. As you can see Iowans out there planted their gourds soon enough to get these results. Mine will never make it.

4 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

Good gracious, I do learn a lot every time I come here. I had never come across gourds before. What strange things they are.

Valerie said...

I've heard of gourds, but not seen that one. Volunteer Coneflower.... how unusual

Linda said...

I've read about the Iowa State Fair. Nice to see it 'for real'.

The Retired One said...

The apples do not look bad to me..do they have worms? I am sure you could peel them and use them for apple pie or applesauce?

Dog with Person

     The person looks at her cell phone while the dog leads the way. That style of apartment building has a mansard roof. They are not built...