Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sepia Saturday




As I was driving the streets of Osceola, Iowa, in the southern part of the state, I was shocked to see these two horses.  They were being driven through the traffic of cars and trucks pulling an Amish looking carriage.  It was 2009,  but when I stopped to take pictures, I thought I was visiting a time in our country's past when we were just a young nation, 200 plus years in the past.
My father-in-law was still farming with horses during the second World War and this country was settled by the pull of a single horse or cow pulling a plow.  Only on Living History Farms do you still see the horses being used and on our Amish farms throughout the state.

10 comments:

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

I love this post. My mother grew up in the house her father was born in, in St Paul, Minn, near the capital.

She said her old "pops"(her grampa) had his work horses in a shed behind the house, and they pulled his wagon through St Paul back then.

Anonymous said...

A perfect picture for Sepia. That horse is looking you right in the eye!
Happpy New Year Larry!

Valerie said...

Great picture, Larry. I wish, oh I wish horses could be left alone and not shackled to carriages for the benefit of man.

Sunny said...

You have captured a sadness in the horse's face, I think he'd rather be in the pasture.
A perfect picture for sepia.
Keep warm.
Sunny :)

Betsy Brock said...

We have some Amish country in the northern part of our state, Ohio. It really is like stepping back in time....beautiful!

Gigi Ann said...

That is a lovely picture of the horses. Something we don't see much anymore. It looks like it was taken many years ago instead of 2009.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great photo! My Grandpa used horse until the 1950's..his horses loved him and they enjoyed working with him in the fields. I have some very old photos of him and his horses..they were the lifeblood of the early farms:)

Darla said...

Dropped by from Tom's. This is interesting here.

GLOGIRLY said...

Happy New Year Larry! Katie here.

Thanks for swinging by my blog. I love the photo today... looks like a step back in time... at least according to Glogirly. I think I'll have her play around with my portrait in Photoshop. The sepia effect is beautiful. Maybe it will make me look like a vintage cat.

Hope you're staying warm. You are right, it's SUPER cold here. Zero degrees in fact. I don't get it... doesn't the temperature have to be something??? How can it be nothing?

mew!
Katie
(Glogirly's cat)

The Retired One said...

I love that in Sepia...looks like the old days!

Sharing…..

 I marked some hostas for a friend to let her know which ones she can get new starts from for har new garden spot.