Wednesday, March 14, 2018

New Identification For Me........


I have never seen this bird before yesterday.  It showed up on the deck railing and sat there for me to photograph without a problem.  If I am not too confused, it is a gray headed dark eyed junco.  The only ones I have seen in the back yard was the dark headed one. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

 Because of its size it makes me think that I may be very wrong on the identity. The black hooded ones look like this. I opened up images of junco and I did see the guy above.  I did learn that the juncos can migrate as far north as the arctic zone in the summer.

I will leave it to my viewers to tell me otherwise on the identity.  I even thought it could be a female version of one that I don’t know. It is a nice looking bird.  I did also find out the juices are cousins of the sparrows.

As I did more research it is a junco.  The yellowish legs with black feet is consistent. One photo posting showed the juncos with so many variations.  It just seems strange that we only have see the dark headed one here for all these years. 







4 comments:

Karen said...

He is a handsome little guy. I am excited to see if eastern bluebirds make their nests in our new birdhouses.

Dianna said...

Very interesting. Some of the feathers look almost blue up around its 'collar" area. We have a lot of Juncos here, but like you, we've only had the black-headed ones. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Very sweet bird and a great photo.

claude said...

Maybe the female.
We also have different male sparrows and finches too.
In general, females have poorer pumage than males, except for goldfinches and our little robins.

Weekends....

 When I return from home to go to the hospital on a week day I can't find a place to park. Here is where I parked on a Friday morning, w...