Friday, May 25, 2018

From the Farm......


My wife’s grandparents and parents farm is now gone.  It has all been cleared and a large building is built in the back half of it to assemble parts into work trucks.  The rake in this photo would have put muscles on the farmer with the heavy fork being used to lift swaths of grass or hay onto a horse drawn wagon.  The loose hay would be lifted onto a rack and then unloaded to be place in a barn loft. The farm had been in my wife’s family over 125 years. The first thing my wife’s grandfather did to make a living was to cut the prairie grass on the land and take it downtown Des Moines to sell to people who owned horses.

3 comments:

Karen said...

That is so interesting. Reminds me of my hard-working great grandfather and his farm.

Jeevan said...

You got a beautiful image here using the plants and rake and nice story to share along. In India we use bull carts to pull rake or plough the soil.

Anonymous said...

Bittersweet to see changes but we always have our memories.

I am in the process of selling all of our heavy furniture and anything we no longer need/use. Some of it thru fb marketplace and then winding up with a yard sale. My muscles are so sore!

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...