Monday, April 20, 2009

Salt and pepper world.....


Not a great photo but sometimes I just don't have the time to make it right. When we traveled out west to Colorado and Wyoming in my younger years, my mom bought salt and pepper shakers. What a deal as I think everyone had a few and did that and some were really out of control with very large collections. My mom was thrifty so one set per year or two if she felt to be daring. The quail came from a Colorado tourist trap. The couple in the middle is a set that was always in our house. She must have had it from when she was married as it has alway been around. Again I was surprised that one of my two older brothers didn't walk off with this when we were dividing mom's things but maybe they weren't paying attention.
The two little fairies are flanking a small cabbage that has a lid on it with a butterfly on it. What would they have put in the cabbage? There is a small spoon that I need to glue back together and the poor little guy needs to have his one wing repaired. I do have the piece. I have seen this set only once in my life at a mall antique show. It was priced at twenty dollars or more and was hand painted exactly as this one. It has a Japan stamp on it which doesn't make it older than the 1940's as a lot of stuff older was marked Nipon before that. It also has written by hand 68 on it which I assume was a price that was hand marked on it.
My mom kept special dimes in the cabbage and displayed it all the while we lived on the farm, both old house and new house. But I had not seen this out on display in her house in town for some twenty years,and then one day a few years back it showed up sitting on top of her microwave with a few other small ceramic knick knacks.
Well, I will be watching for another some day, just because of the fun of the hunt. Maybe the person selling it could give to me a specific history of who sold them. It was and still is a silly fascination from my childhood.

1 comment:

claude said...

I have some too. I like. I gave to my american friend Julia (her husband's name is Larry) a set of geese. One for salt, one for pepper one for toothpicks.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...