Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cactus Flowers.....


This is my neighbor's, across the street, cactus bed. I have always admired it and it does well there. We don't have cactus in Iowa growing naturally. When you head out of Council Bluffs, through Omaha heading west you can start to see cactus growing wild along the highway. I don't know how far in to Nebraska that you have to go, but I don't think it's more that fifty miles in to the state.
I would take some home and start a bed, but I figured it was dangerous and I could just go over to see hers in the summer. The problem now is that she is going to a nursing home and I have to decide whether to sponge a start from it or not. My collie would not be good with it, so I probably won't, even though the gardener spirits are rebelling.
The strange thing about these cactus is how they die way down to the freezing weather and by the end of June they are all up again and looking good. I don't always get to see it bloom but I was delivering something to the other neighbor and there it was in the hot sun blooming like crazy.

No comments:

Reflection