Friday, June 5, 2009

Carefree Wonder.....


I worked last summer in a nursery of a grocery store. It was fun but I received responsible hours so that I could be the adult to close the store. I worked too hard for too little money, but I still loved it. I may do it again some time but not this year. The younger employees were in charge of watering things and kids just don't have a feel for the needs of a plant. This yellow rose was set aside by a customer in order to buy it and then they didn't. It sat for quite a few days on a table in the back of the business outside but it never got watered and by the time it got water it seemed too late. The boss had tossed it as the leaves were all gone, so I retrieved it and brought it home. It wasn't an expensive rose but it is doing well. It regrew it's leaves last fall and this spring it is blooming beautiful yellow flowers.
When I get all may facts together, I want to share about a rose hybrid breeder who created disease resistant, and weather tough roses. Griffith Buck is his name and I will tell a story about his roses when mine finally blooms. He did research near here at Iowa State University for many years.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is a very pretty rose, and I would love to hear the story Larry .. I will keep reading..I am way behind again! :)

Monday...vinca and tulips