Monday, June 8, 2009

Peony portraits....




The two bottom peonies come from the five in a row that were planted here by a previous owner. When I bought the property thirty two years ago they were in bloom. The white one is interesting as it has some pure white flowers on it and then some have the red and pinkish markings like the one showing. I guess the small flower heads are the pure white.
The red peony is a family plant that started with my Grandmother at her property in Murray, Iowa. My mom moved some of it to Osceola, Iowa and now I have three plants of it. It isn't special as there are a lot of red bushes out there, it just that it started from my Grandmother who has been gone since 1973. My Uncle lives at the place in Murray now and none of those plants survived the different ownership. He does have old iris growing on the old cave that I aim to get starts from this summer.

2 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Beautiful peonies and how nice to have the red one passed down from your family.

FlowerLady

Far Side of Fifty said...

It is great to have one of your Grandmothers plants Larry.. that makes it special all on it's own:)

Reflection