Thursday, July 30, 2009

At the zoo......

I have too many photos to just have one photo a day. I have a lot of things to say about these African cats. For now I will show you their beauty.
The Des Moines Zoo is small. It started out as a gross zoo with painted, colored concrete exhibits and small unnatural areas for the animals. It has come a long way from back then but is still is a small zoo. I wish they would get more funding to do a better job maintaining the grounds and improving the exhibits. One animal of one species seems cruel in some cases and the number of kinds of animals is small. I guess the zoos in KC, Minneapolis and Omaha have set a high standard and we have a very long way to go.
We still had a great time and the animals were being well taken care of. The zoo sits in a lot of hills and dales, so we have sore leg muscles today. It was good for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those big cats are beautiful animals. It is a shame they are not free but I understand those that are free are having a difficult time just living. So maybe the zoo is the best place for these. I think your photography is really super. Getting anything to look great behind iron bars is remarkable.

The Retired One said...

I love big cats...their eyes are mesmerizing! thanks for sharing these!

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...