Saturday, July 4, 2009

Grandma's Regal Lily.......


My Grandmother Brooks lived in a small town of Murray, Iowa. On the east side of her house she had a regal lily. I don't know how she acquired it, maybe from a neighbor, but she didn't live there only about ten years. The lily matured and when you went to see her, you had to go to the back of the house and see here regal lily. She had six or seven large stalks with flowers on them and she had counted every one of them. Because of the weight of the flowers, she would hammer large nails into the side of the house and use hay baling twine to keep them standing straight. Now that twine actually was large, frizzy, and yellow and it was way too heavy to hold that plant up, but that is what she always used. I can't honestly tell you her largest count of flowers at one time but it was a large number. When she died in 1972 my Mom took some of the bulbs from her house and planted them next to her garage. When my Mom died, I took all of the bulbs but one to my place and I now have them. They have struggled a little being that it is there first year that I have planted them. I have had to tie all of them to stakes as they seem pretty wimpy stemmed. The smell of a regal lily is so wonderful. The stargazer lily has a strong smell but it is a different scent. I like them both.

2 comments:

Jimmy said...

There is something on the market called "Bulb Booster". Lily food. But don't let the dogs get in it, it contains bone meal and they will eat it like candy.
Beautiful photos of all your lilies.

The Retired One said...

I love,love, love lilies!
Those are gorgeous.

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...