Friday, August 14, 2009

Barnabas....

Barney our border collie....
I have told some before about Barney but we got him from a rescue group when he was about seven months old. He wandered the streets in a Missouri town for awhile before they finally captured him. He would growl at our neighbors patrol car and anyone in a hat. He has so many fears. That is some of the characteristics of some border collies but this guy can't handle the neighbor twin girls coming down the sidewalk with swirling umbrellas. Things that come running out from the blue, like the school track team sends him running home with me behind him. I use to walk him every single day but after a year and half, he got more frightened than ever and we can only now walk two block out and back not much more.
He also loves to bark at and chase fast running cats. He would never hurt them but it is his job to watch at our fence for killer cats. He doesn't like to be photographed but especially if he is staring at potential cats in the neighbor's yard. When I was clicking away at him, he would flip his head at me a half a second and turn back so as not to loose track of a cat on the porch.

He barks at people like he is going to bite them, but what he wants is for everyone to meet him. Yesterday the Swann man was here selling ice cream and stuff, and I had step out on the porch to greet him. Barney has always barked madly at him, and yesterday he slipped through the door and stood between the Swann man and me. He leaned his head against his thigh and looked up at him, like aren't you glad to see me. The man didn't act scared but he did look down startled and said well hi Barney. He was surprised at how friendly that he was. All bark and no bite.
He has been an energy challenge but he has become such a nice part of our family. He was such a good therapy dog for my wife's father who lived here with us. He was a loyal fan to Clarence.
I keep trying to get good photos of him but he is determined to duck the camera. So I am going to be content to just take pictures of him on the sly.

3 comments:

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

What a great story about your Barney, we have rescue dogs and a pony.. so good for you for doing your part as well!

He is a lovely looking dog :)

Valerie said...

Hi, thanks for following my picture blog. That is one gorgeous dog yuou have. Aren't dogs wonderful, good company and very knowing. I envy you yourdog having lost my yellow labrador a couple of years ago. The decision not to have another pet is difficult to deal with even now.

Far Side of Fifty said...

He is one lucky dog! Sometimes I take photos of Chance from a long ways away and zoom in on him ..but he loves my camera! :)

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...