Thursday, August 6, 2009

Coneflower jungle.....

This is originally a plains plant that grew throughout Iowa when we were solely a prairie state with very few trees. Can you imagine that it was less than two hundred years ago and this state was still undeveloped full of tall grasses, wild flowers and Buffalo?
Purple coneflower has now been sown all over the state in the ditches along our highways. It really is nice to see it doing so well. I have taken so many pictures of coneflowers in my garden but I thought this one reminded me a bunch of umbrella plants creating a forest.

4 comments:

claude said...

A pretty flower with the heart most important than the petals.

The Retired One said...

I just planted my first coneflower in my garden and it took....I so hope it lasts the winter and comes up again in the spring.
Do they spread and multiply easily?

L. D. said...

I started out with only one plant and I now have many. The seed actually gets spread sometimes and they come up in other areas of your garden. They won't spread fast but they will as soon as you have four or five.

Linda said...

I've been re-reading the Little House on the Prairie series this summer and noticing in particular the descriptions of the wildflowers on the prairies. Nice to know that the native plants are being allowed a renaissance.

Peony and Tulips....

  The flowers are getting a gentle rain this morning.  It  makes the soil and sub soil happier as our drought is less these days.