Friday, September 11, 2009

Opposites on the color wheel........

Contrasting colors......a new theme....... now an old theme....


Orange, a warm color is enhanced when placed next to a blue color. Blue a cool color is a restful color.


Blue willow, so many copies, who has the oldest one? My oldest blue willow plate from my Grandmothers cupboard, has Japan marked on the bottom of it. I watched a show on tv today that said it has to have the England stamp on it to make it a lot more valuable.


Orange tomatoes, that once they are picked, they will turn red.

A shiny blue vase.


While planning this final contrasting colors theme, I noticed this hand painted floral design on the side of this hurricane lamp globe. The camera made the dark oranges look red, but they really are just dark orange line enhancement. The hurricane lamp is one that I gave my mom 34 years ago. My wife and I now enjoy owning it.

9 comments:

Sunny said...

I can't tell you which photo I like best because I like them all!
My Grandmother had a cupboard full of English Blue Willow...I wonder what happened to it all!
Sunny :)

Alan Burnett said...

Thanks Larry. My colourful education continues.

OiseauBird said...

I enjoy your theme :contrasting colors and I like antique stuff.

Vivian aka Deborah said...

Great color combination! I've heard it said that you should eat on blue plates because the color subdues the appetite while orange and red stimulate your appetite, causing us to eat more and gain weight!!! Oh my!

L. D. said...

I guess I had better start using the blue willow plates all the time. It is true. Mexican places have beautiful yellow and orange plates and it makes them very inviting. My wife is making salsa this afternoon so it is a good day.

Prospero said...

Hi Larry. I like your idea about trying to pair two opposites from the color wheel is a unified composition. A worthwhile exercise.

Ezhilan said...

Beautiful designs.The contrasting colors makes them more attractive. The color-appetite information is interesting.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I really enjoy the color wheel opposites..great color! :)

The Retired One said...

I love the blue and white dishes. I have been collecting them for about 2 years for a cottage that we will be renting out by the week. I think they are a great theme for a cottage kitchen.

Reflection