Saturday, September 12, 2009

Maine Sculpture......

Our visit to Maine was short, but it is good that we didn't stay too long to get bored. I miss my son Aaron and his wife Keegan. It will be nice to go back and visit again. We also had not see our older son Andy and his wife Patricia for a long time. They are in Chicago so we can make a trip out easier to see them.
Maine and the mountains and the ocean can cast of spell of tranquility on you. Even in the rain, it has a special effect on your being. My friends in England and France have such a different view of the world in the place that they live. They probably see the ocean regularly and it has always been a part of their lives. My wife and I seem so landlocked now, especially once the winter starts to set in around here.
I really like the dead trees when they have so many branches still attached and the roots were interesting. Since the soil is scarce on the rock mountain, a lot of the roots sit on top of the rocks.
When I do a painting of the North Shore, Minnesota, I always try to put a weathered top of a pine tree in the landscape, whether it is really there or not. The vine at the bottom of this sculpture reminds me of poison ivy. I didn't pay close enough attention when I took the photo, but there was ivy spotted all over the area. It will turn completely red before the leaves fall off of their vines.

3 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

What you say is very true. I consider myself to be landlocked where we live and we are about as far away from the sea as it is possible to get in England. And yet it is only 55 miles away and I can get there in less than an hour. What it must be like to be really landlocked I can't imagine.

The Retired One said...

I lived in Kansas for a year and I didn't realize how much I missed the water until I moved back up to the U.P. and by Lake Superior. I still remember coming over the hill into Marquette and spotting Lake Superior after a year. I literally cried.

Linda said...

You're right, we do depend on being able to get to the sea to complete our lives. My mother grew up in a fishing family on the Moray Firth coast, and when she moved 15 miles inland on marrying my father she was so homesick for the sea. 15 miles doesn't seem much, but to her it was a lot!

I am enjoying your glimpses of Maine. I would love to see these seaboard states.

Tall and Short....

 At four in the morning and one is walking the empty hallways, one never knows what the camera might shoot.