Sunday, September 27, 2009

Southern Iowa.....


Iowa has diverse land forms. I complain about seeing corn and beans on flat land but that is only in certain areas of the state. The glaciers played around a lot in Iowa. I use to live in Sidney, Iowa, on the edge of the bluffs that line the Missouri River. The bluffs are awesome and unusual, called loess hills. I could step into my backyard in Sidney and roll way down the hill. It was almost too steep to mow. In northern Iowa, seventy five percent of the richest soil in the world is found there. It is rich black dirt. In the far northeast of Iowa we have different land forms that remind one of European country hills.
In central Iowa where I now live we are fairly flat. The rivers have created land forms though, that give us hills and dales.We have farmers near here that own machines to pick up all the rocks that the glacier left behind. The rocks work up year after year.
In southern Iowa where I was raised as a kid, we had a hilly farm with clay soil and rocks everywhere. There is very little black soil in the south other than along the rivers and creeks.
The picture above is our rolling hills of the south. This particular area reminds me of England and Scotland, as the hills are very rolling and the cattle graze on the top and sides of the hills. When I drive to Osceola, I know that I am almost there when I see these hills. The town of Osceola is actually built on rolling hills like this with the courthouse at the top of the hill. If you can imagine hard enough less the two hundred and fifty years ago, we still had prairie grasses everywhere, buffalo, no trees and the Native American Indians lived along the rivers and streams. I had a Uncle who lived near Chariton that was a winter location of Indian tribes. He had large collections of artifacts from that farm.

10 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

Yes, those pictures could have been taken right here in Yorkshire. Interesting post Larry.

Ezhilan said...

The landscape and your detailed descriptions are interesting. Now I know more about your place.

Anonymous said...

You know I didn't know that Iowa had hills --I pictured it just like you said corn growing -that's o.k. too though.
vickie

Sunny said...

Very pretty landscapes. When I drove across Iowa, all I remember is corn fields, lots and lots of corn fields!
By the way, Congratulations...you won the drawing on my blog...stop by and see!
Sunny :)

Valerie said...

You are right, the pictures do look a bit like Scotland and England. Peace and tranquility, that's what the pictures represent.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Iowa is a very pretty state..thanks for the very descriptive geography lesson, I really enjoyed it. My Husbands Grandparents came from The Nebraska/Iowa border..a little town called Logan, Iowa in the Missouri River Valley..the bluffs there are really something! I always wondered why they left..it was the price of land, Minnesota land was cheaper!
One thing I remember from YEARS ago was the narrow roads in Iowa, the two lanes with the curved upward curb..I hated driving on those roads.:)

colleen said...

Beautiful landscape!

✿France✿ said...

Bonjour
des photos superbes et bien agréable à regarder

The Retired One said...

I love rolling hills....it looks very pastoral and nice!

GLOGIRLY said...

I've driven through the rolling hills of Iowa many times. When the sun is just right it's absolutely beautiful...reminds me of a Grant Wood painting.

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...