Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Seasonal Series........




Another view of my neighbors yellow maple tree. It has stopped raining and we may warm up on Monday.






Another rural view of Iowa. When I was a kid I hired out to the neighbors to make hay. The bales were square and we had to stack them, interweaving them, on the rack so they wouldn't fall off. This rack sitting here next to these big round bales is a little confusing, as these bales are usually too heavy to be carried on a hay rack. Normally they are loaded on a low long trailer. They use a lift system mounted on the front of a tractor with a hoist system. Two per trailer and they travel down the road to where they can be stored. I suppose they could put one on the rack, flat side down.

7 comments:

Valerie said...

It's getting cooler here in the UK so your pictures go some way to cheering me. There's a hilly road nearby that is so beautiful when the leaves turn. Horse Chestnuts form an arch the whole way down so the autumn creation is spectacular. I keep trying to grab a picture but there are always so many cars and goods vans parked that the pictures are spoiled.

Jimmy said...

Rolled hay is something I see here. But I'm sure the numbers are much higher where you are. Great photo.

Ezhilan said...

These hay bales looks like big pipes and rock formations.Hay bales are new for me.

GLOGIRLY said...

There's something so beautiful about driving along farmland in the late day sun when the fields are sprinkled with those round bales. Despite how huge they are, I love how they can look like little pellets strewn about.

Mango said...

Very beautiful leaves. I love the colors of the season, very nice :)

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

As a horse owner, I never quite understood the round bales.. though occasionally I will see some being hauled. With the type of hay we feed..which is outrageously expensive.. it is the standard bales which weigh about 80 lbs each.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Larry, I hated stacking hay on the wagon..I was usually the walker..the one that walked along and lifted the bales up. OH the itchy sweaty arms....hay dust everywhere..stuck to you like glue on a warm day. Blisters on my hands..from lifting on the baling twine..I wonder where my gloves were? Oh the memories of a farm kid:)

Reflection