Friday, January 29, 2010

Cold illusions........














Having been out a couple of times today to feed the squirrels and the birds,  I ventured out one more time for art sake.  I so wanted to find something new and interesting to shoot.  I have been working hard at getting a good photo of a cardinal that really gleams in the setting sun, but that isn't happening. He sits way over at the other end of the yard next to a corn cob, picking up bits of seed from the grackles who came in and made a mess.


The winter is white, blue and gray.  The sun reflects off of the crystals of the snow, while the trees and bushes stand out in contrast to it's cold background.  I see tracks of the bunny who lives below the porch steps, and corn cobs lay strewn from the squirrels nervous energy. The busy work of the birds at the feeder really is an  anxious movement to feed in order to keep warm before the sun sets.  It will be below zero again and they loose a lot of body heat at this time. I sit and wait, and plan for another day.  Hoping one last chance will come to shoot the red bird one more time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Such interesting and beautiful photos today. My husband and I were discussing your abundance of snow and frigid temps yesterday. Such a contrast to our weather which was sunny with a high of 63*. Our forsythia, jonquils, and saucer magnolias are all showing new growth. The weathermen are predicting some winter weather for us this weekend however. Best wishes with photographing the Cardinal. We have a pileated woodpecker that taunts me but I can never get a good photo! I hope you have a nice weekend.

Stephanie said...

Brrrrr. That ice picture... Good luck with the cardinal - I'll look forward to you capturing that shot.

Sunny said...

Lovely photos, Larry. I hope you get your Cardinal picture.
Even though the sun finally came out, it's bitter cold here today.
Sunny :)

Kat Mortensen said...

Cardinals don't sit still for long in my experience. I have rarely captured a good shot of one.
You are a man after my own heart - feeding birds AND squirrels. I love the squirrels!

Kat

P.S. I recognized that top shot right away. It's all too familiar.

The Retired One said...

Wonderful! You know me and ice formations, I love them!

Sunny said...

Hi Larry,
I meant to mention I love the Cardinal and friend picture in your side bar.
Sunny :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Patience..you will capture the photo..but you may get cold. Ir is a full moon tonight..but also below zero..so I stayed in:)

Ezhilan said...

The ice formed beautiful artistic patterns. Nice observation and capture.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Snowed here again today and my fingers are cold just from going outside to put the recyclables in the container on my deck...time for movie watching!

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...