Thursday, January 28, 2010

Nobody Home.......



A blurry picture of my birdhouse among the snowdrifts.  I made this about a year ago and used a recycled piece of plywood for the base.  Of course it didn't weather, I was not thinking, as the plywood is flaking a part one layer at a time.  When it warms up, I can unbolt it from the pole and make a new base for it.  Fortunately I put screws into the house down into the base so it will be easy to disassemble it.  I may work at making the openings smaller if I don't get Martins again this year.  The grackles were going in and out of it they other day for some reason, I guess to get out of the strong cold winds.

10 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

It looks like a great Martin House..interesting design to it:)

claude said...

A beautiful bird house.
May you must use what My husband call "marine flywood" to be used specially outside, for boats for example.

Anonymous said...

Very nice looking birdhouse. I also am admiring your photos on your sidebar. Your dogs are precious! Wishing you a great day.

Gigi Ann said...

What a cute little birdhouse, you are multi-talented.

Sunny said...

Very impressive bird house, a real highend birdie condo!
It is snowing here to beat the band, last night the weatherman said sun today!
Sunny :)

Valerie said...

Fabulous birdhouse, Larry, especially as it's all your own work. Your birds are very lucky.

The Retired One said...

It does even have its own snowdrifts! I like it!

Betsy Brock said...

Your house is great...the style and uniqueness of it. When you get the base replaced in the spring, I'm sure it will be full of your feathered friends!

I've always wanted a martin house. We don't have martins, but wonder if they would come if I put their house up? Hope so!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

lovely shot, so church-like...

L. D. said...

I bought some treated lumber for a new base and it it ever gets up to 40 degrees, I will go out and take it down and fix it.

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...