Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Decoration.......



My photo today is of another decoration on a pitcher.  I am a sucker for color and classical design. When I was first out of college, I bought a whole set of dishes with this pattern on it. I bought it at an auction for six dollars and it was a box full of dishes. 
This is the "Mildred" china by Mt. Clemens Pottery, Michigan, 1939.  It is not fired as high as some fine china but it was probably the top of the line for those in Iowa in the early 1900's. It is a stencil applied decoration on a cream colored base. 
A few years later, my wife and I bought a whole lot more of it at an antique store plus found a surgar and creamer to go with it.  We used the set of dishes for everyday for probably 15 years and finally we just put it away in storage.  It looks good on our old antique walnut table.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry, I could not believe my eyes when I saw your post come up. This is the "Mildred" china by Mt. Clemens Pottery, Michigan, 1939. Many years ago, my husband bought me some for Christmas because of the name. Since then, we have been able to find pieces in antique stores and on ebay. I once found a pitcher but it was in several pieces that had been glued back together. You and your wife have a treasure.

Anonymous said...

You two might enjoy this website:
http://www.robbinsnest.com/american-dinnerware/mount-clemens/

L. D. said...

When I bought the first batch in a box at an auction, the people who owned only used two plates, cups and saucers, and they were all worn out. That was in southern Iowa. So I got a good deal. The next batch that I bought were at an antique store in Osceola, Iowa. I got platters and plates and bowls, lots of different things. My mom had a set that was the same company, but was a silver rose pattern. I had to give that up to a sister in law. But I like this one best.

Sunny said...

It's so much fun to see your treasures. This is such a prett design.
We are being buried in snow, we could get up to 2 feet by the time all the storms are done. I'm just going to sit in the corner and pout until spring!
Sunny :)

claude said...

Very beautiful, Larry !
I would like to have your creamer in my pot collection!!!!

Valerie said...

It's a very pretty design. I particularly like the way the colours blend together.

Far Side of Fifty said...

This is a beautiful pattern..very cheerful! I am always drawn to the primary colors:)

The Retired One said...

A very pretty set! I love going to auctions and antique stores to "fill out" a pattern I am collecting...like a gigantic "treasure hunt"....it is so fun!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

So dainty and pretty! I have my moms Wedgewood china, a full 8 place setting formal collection with demitasse cups and salt and pepper shakers. I will never use it and she said to me the other day, you should break it up and sell it on eBay to people who have lost pieces. Not even sure where to start at that though

Blurry Blue Cup Day.....

 It is Monday and I am a little blurry eyed today. It is fitting then my blue cup is blurred a little because it is in low light. I was too ...