Sunday, June 6, 2010

Creature feature.......


I am not going to pretend to name this insect. I assume it is like a locust but I have never seen one that looked like this.  I had my camera outside and this guy came down falling out of the sky and landed on the table in front of me.


A bonus picture today of the hydrangea that is starting to bloom. This is the second year for this plant to bloom.  It is an old fashioned foundation plant. The new owners of the place that are at the house that I received these starts, decided this spring to clear out all of the plants in front of the porch and start over with something different.  So I have the survivors growing in my yard.  I like how it changes color as it matures and becomes a very nice white.

7 comments:

Valerie said...

Ye Gods, I would run a mile if that creature landed on my table. It's so distinctively marked I'm sure someone will know what it is.

Anonymous said...

That fall had to hurt. Looks like it just molted. I think it is a locust. My hydrangea is just beginning to bloom here in southern or southwest Ohio were we live.

Alan Burnett said...

That is one frightening creature. It is difficult to get a scale but in my imagination it is as big as a teacup.

Anonymous said...

Talk about a photo opportunity when they fall from the sky and land in front of you!!! Great picture and I love the hydrangea also.

The Retired One said...

Bugs from Heaven??? I guess you were MEANT to photograph that bug and make him famous then?
A good macro shot of him too!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yikes..that is a big ugly bug. Your hydrangea is blooming already..good for you..mine has weeks yet to go to bloom. Have you seen any of the new varieties..one I think was Strawberries and Cream..one was blue..but I cannot remember the name it was part of the Endless Summer series by Bailey Nurseries and then Invincible Spirit or a pink annabelle..oh I am tempted:)

Betsy Brock said...

The bug is beautiful, in it's own way...and if it stays over there in your state! ha.

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...