Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dragonfly, maybe.......no it is a Damselfly!!!!!!



I have a few of these hanging around my water this year.  I just read in a magazine about fish ponds and that they are hatched out of the water of a pond.  I guess I thought dragonfly insects had a double set of overlapping wings.  These wings appear to be a single set and are not clear as you can see. I had a hard time getting one of them to stay still, but finally it landed on this leaf and proceeded to clean the leaf of something that was living on the leaf.  I really like the glow of the tail section.

I have sources who helped out here and it is a damselfly.  The pictures below came off the internet but they too wouldn't tell me the name of the insect. Thanks for the help.


 Footnote:  a few minutes later,
I found two photos of it on the internet and you can see with the better camera that it picks up the double set of wings.  I still didn't find a name for it.

A male Ebony Jewelwing as identified by Randy.  Thanks everyone!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an incredible photograph Larry. Kanak in India has incredible knowledge of dragonflies. You would really enjoy her flower and insect pictures @
http://kanak7.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/abuzz-with-activity/

Valerie said...

Thanks for the information, Lrry. We have those blue insects on our pond, I didn't realise they were dragonflies. I still haven't discovered the identity of that strange insect that rested on my porch window for two days.

Anonymous said...

Hi Larry,

My good friend Mildred told me about your post. That's a damselfly you've photographed. Damselflies usually rest with their wings together whereas dragonflies rest with their wings all spread out. Dragonflies have stouter bodies but these have slender ones.

I live in a low-lying area (formerly rice-fields) so I get to see many of these beautiful creatures. As for the names, I'm still learning (Mildred has been very kind) and for Asian bugs I refer to the site /www.thaibugs.com/ As for American bugs, the best person I can think of is Randy@ http://rlephoto.blogspot.com/ (Randy and Meg's Garden Paradise).

Your photos are beautiful. Love the Maine coastline.

Randy Emmitt said...

Larry,
Your have for once an easy damselfly to ID it is a male Ebony Jewelwing!

Anonymous said...

Just another example of the wonders of blogging...from Georgia, to India to North Carolina to identify your damselfly! Thanks to Kanak and Randy.

The Retired One said...

Gorgeous...!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is one beautiful Damselfly..and now it is identified..this is how we learn at our old age Larry..our readers tell us!! :)

Sunny said...

Amazing picture. What an interesting creature.
☼ Sunny

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Great shot...timing is everything, when it comes to taking 'animal' photos.

Thanks everso for stopping by and leaving my kitties nice comments, too...

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...