Friday, July 23, 2010

Chicory......


I used an Iowa summer weather effect for a filter on this photo.  I stopped the car and got out of an air conditioned car and the camera fogged over instantly from our severe humidity and heat.  The first five pictures that I took were hazy until the camera finally warmed up to outdoor temperature.  I have never had that happen before now.

I have been watching this  plant on the side of our roads for the last few years and really didn't know what it was.  I had thought it was a form of a bachelor button as the blue is the same color as that flower.  The state has spread the seed of this flower along the roads and I have seen it also on the edge of my town.  I dug through my handy dandy wildflower book and I found that it is called Chicory.  It is nothing like a bachelor button.

I really like the effect that the humidity created on the lens and I will be sharing some Iowa landscapes later on with this same effect.

7 comments:

Christine H. said...

Too bad, I don't think we have either the heat or the humidity to achieve that effect. I may just have to put vaseline on the lens.

jennyfreckles said...

That happens in winter to my spectacles in a reverse sequence - cold outdoors to warm house! Doesn't have the benefit of a pretty by-product though.

Valerie said...

Is that the same chicory that used to be added to coffee in the great olden days? I believe it was used to eke out the coffee, but that's only my belief. Anyway, the picture and flower is very pretty.

Sunny said...

Such a pretty flower and I love the effect.
Have a great weekend.
☼ Sunny

L. D. said...

Yes the wildplants manual said chicory was used as a substitute for coffee or was used as an extender to make the coffee last longer.

Ezhilan said...

The flowers look different and nice with the fog effect. We use coffee mixed with chicory.(Coffee 70% and chicory 30%). I have not seen the chicory plant before.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Love the softness, as I think the plant is a bit bristly in real life? Thanks so much for your visits and thoughtful comments...they make my day!

Reflection