Saturday, July 24, 2010

Name that butterfly.........

RED ADMIRAL

This is a blog for audience participation as I haven't had time to research what the two butterflies are.  I will go back and edit the blog as you kindly help me to find the name of each of these insects.
The one above is plentiful on my coneflowers.  I can stand still for a few minutes and there will be four  or five all over the flowers.  The hardest thing to do is to photograph them as they close their wings while eating the nectar from the blossom.

COMMA

This guy would not land on a flower and seemed very elusive. I caught him on the side of the wooden fence for just a split second.

What I am not seeing this year thus far are the painted ladiy butterfly. I have past photos of them but would like to see them again this year.  I did see a white cabbage month but no photography took place as it was just fluttering by me.



 A bonus picture is of the one that I can identify, the swallowtail butterfly. Two of them gave me a good show last week and I haven't seen them since.

Thank you to anyone who can give me a name or two of the top two pictures. 
I HAVE THE ANSWERS TO MY IDENTIFICATION PROBLEM,  I WROTE THEM IN BLUE FOR ALL TO READ. THANKS AGAIN.

7 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

The top one is a Red Admiral and the bottom one is a Comma (you can see the little white comma shape on the underside of its wing). I'm actually not that good at butterflies, but I do happen to know these two. You did well to catch them; I find butterflies really hard to photograph. Have a lovely weekend, Larry.

claude said...

Yes the firts one is a Red Amiral. I cannot name the second one and the third I know very this butterfly also.
Have a very nice week-end, Larry !

claude said...

Yes, the first one is a Red Arimal. I cannot name the second one and I know very weel the third one, a very beautiful butterfly.
Have an excellent week-end, Larry !

Gigi Ann said...

I admire anyone who can get a photo of a butterfly. They are just to fast for me, flutter, flutter, and away they go. "Butterflies are a few of my favorites things.... when the bee stings...."

May I post the picture of the beautiful Swallowtail butterfly on my sidebar at my blog http://butterfliesandcandles.blogspot.com/ ?

Valerie said...

The swallowtail is gorgeous... I wish I could handle a camera as well as you.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I love coneflowers, not sure why I never planted any because if they grow next to a highway, I could probably grow 'em. The blogosphere is nice that way, that there is someone out there that can identify butterflies, birds, bugs etc. It's fun to learn something new every day!

gwentman said...

As with other people, the darn butterflies will not stay long enough for me. Nice shots.

Reflection