Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Glass insulator plus.......


While digging for my can collection to photograph I found this glass insulator inside of one of the antique cans.  As a kid, the country roads were lined with short ten foot poles with a horizontal board on them.  The boards were filled with vertical wooden screw threads on them and the glass insulators were threaded onto them.  They were holding the telephone wires that ran along the roads. The insulators came in difference sizes and colors.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my aunt having two of these (this same color) that she glued together to make a candlestick!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have a few of those..I remember when they were used..my husbands Grandma put curtain rings on the tops and turned them upside down and used them as candle holders:)

Valerie said...

Interesting picture. At first I thought it was a bottle stopper, never having seen a glass insulator before.

claude said...

Oh, Some colored inulators !
I must look at the power line outside it the insulators are in colors or not.

Sunny said...

A friend of mine has a huge collection of insulators. They're not easy to find anymore.
☼ Sunny

Karen said...

I enjoy your unique photos!

Reflection