Sunday, February 20, 2011

Yesterday's keyboard........


I learned to type on a keyboard like this.  I find it amazing how hard we had to push those keys to get the little arms with the letters attached to the end of them to fly up to hit that ribbon.  The sound is so plastic now compared to the past sound of this keyboard.

Do your remember the sound of the bell as you were headed to the far right side of the paper?  I never knew how many keys I could hit after the bell, but it did make me look up to see how close to the end of the line that I was before I had to hit the return arm and swing the carriage back to the left side of the paper.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember these and it was rather a physical job to type in those days! It also took a fairly strong table to support the bumping and sliding of the carriage return. Thanks for the memories.

Lo said...

Now look what you have done.....you have made me all teary-eyed and nostalgic for my old Underwood.
Sigh.

The Retired One said...

I fought with a manual typewriter through high school and the carbon paper and then the white out.
It was a nightmare because I typed fast with many mistakes to correct.ha

Far Side of Fifty said...

I was never a very good typist..I wasn't the secretary type. I do remember that I liked to watch those keys flip up..and wondered how that ribbon was loaded in there:)

Valerie said...

Thanks for the memory, Larry. I was a very fast typist on a similar typewriter and found electric models slowed me down. One thing I remember very well is being in a temper and literally slamming the carriage return - it did wonders for letting off steam.

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...