Monday, October 31, 2011

A Barbed Wire Day


I am having one of those barbed wire days. This is a photo of the metal pile down on the farm that is readied for the salvagers today. Saturday I reached down to pick up debris and got hit by a wire on my forehead that was extending out from a fence. The past two weeks I would be dragging branches and wire was showing up in many different locations.

It is an amazing invention and it really is dangerous for all sorts of creatures including people.  I kept running into it as we wade through the tall grasses and find old temporary fences that were put in by my father in law many years ago.  Horses tend to only need one or two wires to keep them in a contained area so he would move his fences to various places  to get them fresh grass and sometimes did not remove the fence. The wires are in most cases rusty as they have been there twenty or more years ago as are the poles are rotted.  They may actually be old fences left by the grandfather of my wife's who first owned the place.

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

Ouch! I've grubbed some out myself. And seem to have a habit off chainsawing into those buried unseen in old oak trees.

Valerie said...

Sounds like an arduous task, as well as being dangerous.

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...