Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My weather rock......


I know it is an old joke but I have a rock out on the railing that I call my weather rock.  As you can see it shows that it has snowed. I know it is lame but it is winter and there is not much out there to talk about.  I do think this is the same rock I had photographed with a leaf under it this past fall.



Hey I did find it in the archives.  I am sure geologist of the future are going to wonder how that Lake Superior rock is now in Iowa.  We do have a lot of rocks from Mineesota and Canada near here that were deposited by the glacial action  We have loess hills of clay powder in which the farmers grow their corn south of us.  Some of the farmers have purchased machinery to remove the rocks as they have damaged their machinery by hitting them.  The loess soil is the same soil that makes up the bluffs along the Missouri River. Some of you may have heard of Council Bluffs.  The whole river valley is lined with these bluffs on the east side of the river almost the whole length of the state.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the rock, Larry!

Valerie said...

I like it. Also liked the write-up ... very interesting.

ScrappySandie said...

I like that weather rock, Larry! Good photo! Proof of their accuracy!

Bouquet