Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Columbine.........


When I was young and living on the farm, I made my first attempt to transplant columbine.  We had a lot of timber and I dug some columbine from out in the wild and moved it to the north end of our house.  I am sure that it is still growing there today.

This columbine I bought commercially but it is just like the ones you find in the woods here in Iowa.  I have not had any success with any other colors of them as they did not survive our winter.  I know that they grow well in different states both hybrid and wild ones but I can just grow this variety.






3 comments:

claude said...

Pretty and delicate.

troutbirder said...

Beautiful. I have a few of the wild ones but they don't do really well here with all the shade on Oak Hill...

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful! I grew a variety from seed once and had good luck with them blooming for several years..then the frost heaves from our cold winters killed them:(

Reflection