Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Getting time to stand still.......


Red Admiral
The warm weather earlier this spring cause a larger amount of these kinds of butterflies to appear. My allium is a big draw for them and I have four or five at the flowers at all times.



Most of the butterflies that I have observed like to close up their wings while they are feeding and this particular one had great markings on the back of it's wings.  There was a gentle breeze and the sun was sitting, so my lighting was good and bad.  I had to be careful not to shade my objects when standing to the west of them and then the sun did shine through their wings washing out their color.



On a one photo a day basis regularly I broke my own rules.  I wanted to show you three of the many photos that I took of these beauties.  I did have to search to find the name of the butterfly and the nice thing about blogs is that you can go back and edit them.





6 comments:

Hilary said...

Very pretty. The colour contrast is so amazing between insect and bloom.

Lo said...

Gorgeous photos and gorgeous creatures. Thanks for posting 3.

ScrappySandie said...

Lovely photos! You caught the butterflies nicely...and those bright colors! Very nice!

claude said...

A pretty flower and a beautiful butterfly make wonderful photos, Larry.

Valerie said...

Fabulous butterflies. Unfortunately they don't come to my part of the world. Guess it's time I moved...

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful..they are not easy to photograph. You did great, I like the light in this photo it almost makes the Allium glow:)

Tall and Short....

 At four in the morning and one is walking the empty hallways, one never knows what the camera might shoot.