Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Canada Geese.........


I can remember when Iowa had none of these in the wild.  They were a fascination to see when I would visit Minnesota.  We would watch them fly over and appreciate the novelty of them.  Now that they have changed behaviors they started living in Iowa and they don't bother to migrate anymore.

Their food source comes from gleaning the farm fields of what they can find and heading to any open water either rural or in the city.  I like seeing them when we go to the bookstore or when they flock to roadside water areas created by the highway department.  I don't live close to them so I don't have the problems that a lot of people complain with them being around their properties.


3 comments:

The Retired One said...

they are all over by our lake and poop everywhere, which people complain about, but hey, they were here first, right?

George said...

Geese are fairly common in our area as well. We don't have any problems in our neighborhood, but I enjoy seeing those 'V's during migration. I like your photo.

Anonymous said...

Pretty photo.

Bouquet