Sunday, October 20, 2013

Corn.........of many colored kernels.



I don't know what the politically correct word is for this kind of corn so I will call it multi-colored corn. We don't intend to be insensitive to anyone, we just need to rename things.  I bought these ears of corn a few years back and I never did get some of it planted to grow my own.  Maybe next spring it will happen.


I like how there are three genetic varieties in the corn.  I doubt there will be any other mixtures take place if they were grown together.

A story from my past as a farm boy is having my dad patiently letting me throw kernels of this kind of corn into the round planter boxes of his four row corn planter.  The seed was scattered throughout the corn field as he planted it and the stray seed grew among the normal corn plants.  My dad was a little bit creative too as myself as he knew we would not see the new corn until it was picked and came in as ear corn in the wagon.

Back then the corn was picked as ears of corn and it was stored in bins with the seed kernels on the cob. There was not fancy machine to shell the corn while it was being picked. Wow what a world that would have been back then.   When my dad would dump the ear corn into the hopper of the elevator he would pick it out from the regular ears of corn. Sometimes I would be there on weekends and I could see those special ears on the heap of ear corn as it was coming in from the field.  It was like viewing Christmas lights seeing them among all that yellow.  I still enjoy the colored corn.  I would like to grow some of the blue corn someday also.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post and your memories. I always liked the multi-colored corn, too. Karen would tie a pretty bow for us to hang the corn on the door in Autumn.

Patsy said...

What a great memory, I loved staying with my grandparents on there farm.
Oh yes! must be politically correct LOL even about corn.
Kind of scary

Valerie said...

Great memories. I have never seen multicoloured corn but I like the look of it. It's more interesting that the same old yellow.

Reflection