Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Bad, Good Photo......


When I started my Photo a Day blog it was my plan to always have a great perfect photo to share.  As the years go by I realize that the perfect photo can also be a very unusual one with some breaking of the rules.

I shot this to show the growth of an older amaryllis bulb that I have brought up from the basement, a carry over one hoping to get another bloom from it.  I have my doubts about the blooming of it but it will be nice green growth to see.  I noticed after the shot that I leaned in on it over the dining room table and the shot is slanted. 

In defense of the photo it does have good composition with the snow on the ground in the background, the balance of other plants scattered in the arrangement and the foreground directing you into the photo like Vanna White on Wheel of Fortune and her posed hands.  It was just a lucky shot. I guess I sense the balance takes place as the red Christmas cactus blooms are the balance for all the other half of the photo. It would not make a very interesting painting but it works as a photo.  As my wife says, if you have to explain your artwork you didn't do a very good job.  It was an "A" for effort today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon. I don't know much about composition etc. but I do enjoy your warm, sunny windowsill and your potted plants. It is a bonus to see outdoors...I see your chair.
It's very windy here today.

Valerie said...

If the amaryllis doesn't flower at least you got or will get good leaves. I never got that! The picture is interesting, full of detail.

claude said...

A foreground which makes a pleasant background.

Peony and Tulips....

  The flowers are getting a gentle rain this morning.  It  makes the soil and sub soil happier as our drought is less these days.