Thursday, March 20, 2014

On the Curb............


We don't have a curb but it sounds better than along the side of the street.  The neighbor to our northwest lives in her grandmother's house.  I am sure this must have been her grandma's washing machine.  It probably was in the basement for many years and the granddaughter wanted it gone.  I doubt that garbage man will take it but the recycle place west of her would giver her money for all that metal.


My mom used one like this with an electric motor at the bottom to help make the machine turn its special paddles to work the clothes in the water.  I remember seeing lots of jeans in the machine and how they tended to float to the top while they were being washed.  It is interesting that the black hose that was on the machine to release the water was replaced and a semimodern clamp which holds it on the pipe.  The grandma could have still been using it up until the 70's or beyond. I am thinking that the hose was a lot smaller and it took a long while to get the water drained out of the machine.

As I write this blog my brain cells tell me that my mom had a more modern one than this as it was a white enamel ware type of machine.


5 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

You could get away with calling that a monumental statue and getting it adopted by the local council

Valerie said...

I've never seen one like that... I should imagine the metal dealers will snap it up,

claude said...

This machine seems very old

L. D. said...

The patent date on it said 1926.

L. D. said...

The patent date on it said 1926.

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...