Saturday, July 12, 2014

Regale Lily Bloom............


The regale lily puts out a wonderful bloom. It will be the only bloom that I will have this year.  I plan to move the three bulbs to a new location that will encourage their growth.  The history of this plant dates back to 1965 when my grandmother Brooks lived in Murray, Iowa.  She had the regale growing on the east side of her house and each year it increased in bulbs and she would count all of the buds and bloom each year telling everyone how many there were.  I can still relive her seeing her pride as she would take me back to see it blooming in the hot sun.

She had two rusty nails attached in the trim boards of her bedroom window and hay jute binding twine tied to the nails.  The twine wrapped around all the stems keeping all of them standing.  My mom took bulbs from that growth and then eventually gave me bulbs from hers. The past two summers almost ended its life cycle but I think I can get it all back to healthy growth again. I may even put purchased soil from the bag in the hole when I move them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a treasure. This is just a beautiful photo. Enjoy the weekend.

Peony and Tulips....

  The flowers are getting a gentle rain this morning.  It  makes the soil and sub soil happier as our drought is less these days.